Redwood Falls Gazette
    May 17, 2008

    Sean Bloomfield (left) and Colton Witte paddle the Minnesota River north of Delhi.

    An upstream battle

    High school seniors making way to Hudson Bay


    Staff Writer

    Colton Witte’s cell phone voice mail message
    says it all.

    “Hey, I’m paddling right now – I’ll call you back
    when I get a chance.”

    The 18-year-old Chaska High School graduate
    and best friend, Sean Bloomfield, are on the
    adventure of their lives.

    The two are attempting to canoe from Minneapolis to
    the arctic waters of Hudson Bay.

    Witte and Bloomfield began their journey up the
    Minnesota River in the early morning hours of April 28
    as snowflakes pelted their faces.

    “They called about noon, said they were cold and
    wanted to be picked up,” joked Colton’s mother, Kathy.
    The young men passed through Redwood County this
    past Friday.

    They paused near the granite outcroppings of the
    river near Delhi to reflect on the first 220 miles of their
    2,250-mile endeavor.

    Redwood Falls Mayor Gary Revier presented both
    sunburned paddlers with “keys to the city.”

    “What a pleasure it was to meet and chat with you
    two,” Revier said before their trip resumed. “You are an
    inspiration to people young and old alike.”

    Inspiration for the trip evolved from the book
    “Canoeing with the Cree,” which was written by the late
    Minnesota newsman Eric Sevareid.

    Sevareid wrote the story after he and fellow teenager
    Walter Port made the trek in 1930.

    Both Bloomfield and Witte read the book when they
    were in seventh grade.

    “The book really got us started thinking about how neat
    it would be to do the same thing,” Bloomfield said. “This
    has been our dream forever.

    “It just started coming together over the last couple of

    The journey did not start well for Witte.

    He stopped by a fast-food restaurant for a breakfast
    sandwich prior to going to the launch site.

    “I didn’t feel well for about a week after that,” he said. “I
    threw up after the first bite of dinner – the very first dinner
    of the trip – and about 25 times after that. I think it was food

    “I got dehydrated and ended up in the hospital in St.
    Peter, hooked up to an IV and everything for two days.
    They pumped fluids into me and all that fun stuff.”

    The photo gallery on their Web site ( proclaims Go Big or Go Home!

    There were early thoughts of turning around and paddling down river back home.

    “When I was sick, I was starting to doubt a little bit,” Witte
    said. “Just that it was already so early and things were
    going wrong. But, things are looking up.”

    The two are using Department of Natural Resources
    paddle route maps, something Sevareid and Port never
    had available. They also have Witte’s cell phone – service
    was spotty on the Minnesota River – and a Global
    Positioning System, so relatives can track their progress.

    The two are averaging 20 miles per day. They have
    planned three more layover days in their goal to reach
    Hudson Bay by the end of June.

    “We go to bed about dark and wake up at 7 (a.m.), so
    we get a lot of sleep,” Bloomfield said. “It has been kind of
    demoralizing when you think (traveling) 20 miles is considered to have been a good day. You look at the
    current and
    see things moving faster downstream than we’re moving
    upstream – we’re literally just crawling – and you’re working your tails off 10, 11 hours a day… Flat water
    will be

    Both Bloomfield and Witte were introduced to canoeing
    as children by their fathers. They practiced for this trip last

    year by canoeing the 400 miles from Lake of the Woods to
    Lake Superior.

    “We had lunch with the (Canadian) Mounties one day,”
    Witte said. “That was pretty cool.

    “One of the best parts of the trips we have taken is all the
    people you meet and the cultures you see.”

    Witte and Bloomfield have been welcomed in nearly
    every community they have stopped. While in New Ulm,
    they were invited to have a meal and a warm place to stay.

    “We were just standing along side of the road, when
    someone stopped and asked if we wanted to go any
    where,” Bloomfield said. “They took us to Turner Hall.

    “They treated us like family there – they let us walk
    around in our socks.”

    The teens were employed to do filing at the club to pay
    for their meals and stayed in New Ulm during the stormy
    weather of early last week.

    “We paddle through rain, but it’s not too smart to be on
    the water when it is lightning out,” Witte said. “And it’s no
    fun to be in a tent when there’s hail (in the forecast).”

    Added Bloomfield: “Normally we don’t take too many
    bathroom breaks, but yesterday (Thursday) I had to stop
    quite a few times after all that food in New Ulm.”

    The two switch positions in the canoe at lunch every day.

    “One person does afternoon in the back and then does
    the same the next morning,” Bloomfield said. “You’re never
    doing a whole day in one position.”

    Added Witte: “On occasion, on my forward stroke, I
    spray water, so I’ve gotten Sean wet a couple of times.
    Nothing too serious, though.

    “And we’ll run into a tree once in a while trying to cut a

    “I like to cut corners, especially with the water being so

    Continued Bloomfield: “We don’t really do things too professionally, but we get the job done.

    “We’ve been friends since first grade, so we know each
    other pretty well. You have to be friends with someone to
    be able to spend weeks in a canoe with them.”

    There is no doubt Witte and Bloomfield are determined

    – they both took accelerated classes so they could gradu
    ate six weeks early to begin their adventure.

    They also have a mischievous side.

    On their final day of high school, they dropped 500 crickets from a balcony into the school’s commons area.

    “There are about 1,000 kids who stand under there, so
    we dropped the crickets off the balcony as kind of our final
    senior prank,” Witte said. “There were people screaming
    and stepping on crickets everywhere.

    “The school didn’t really think too much of it. We were
    taken into the office. Oddly enough, the officer said he was
    going to stop us from getting publicity as our punishment.”

    Bloomfield is planning to attend the University of
    Minnesota-Mankato in the fall. He wants to become either
    a psychology teacher or writer.

    “A publisher actually contacted me two days before we
    left,” he said. “He actually called me during prom. He’s connected with publishers around Minnesota and
    said he
    would be interested in talking to us at the end of the trip.

    “No matter how tired I am at the end of the day, I still
    keep track of everything in my journal.”

    Witte is looking at the University of Iowa for pre-med.

    The “Bloomitte Expedition” reached Granite Falls
    Saturday. They were paddling across Lac qui Parle Lake

    “We really appreciate all the support the boys have
    received,” said Colton’s father, Dan. “A complete stranger
    came up to them in Granite Falls and handed them each

    “The wind was blowing so hard on Lac qui Parle, they
    weren’t making much progress. About halfway across the
    lake, they saw a sign that said, ‘Sean and Colton, if you are
    hungry stop in.’

    “So, they pulled into the resort, ate and had a place to

    pitch their tent.”

    The goal is to reach Big Stone Lake by this weekend,
    and then the adventure heads up the Red River of the
    North, which flows into Lake Winnipeg.

    “Once they get past Winnipeg, it gets pretty sparse,”
    Dan Witte said. “Norway House is the last major settlement.

    “After that, it’s about a 500-mile jaunt through the wilderness.

    “I spoke with a female Mountie yesterday and she said
    they are having a late spring.

    “I guess there is still a foot of snow on the ground and
    three feet of ice on the river north of Winnipeg.

    “And there’s still bears around. On good years, the bears
    head north, but there’s still some stragglers. The boys have
    bear spray, but the Mountie said she would check into getting them something to defend themselves.”

    The final destination is York Factory, Manitoba, where
    the parents are trying to arrange transportation for the trip
    back to Chaska.

    “Early on, it felt like we bit off a big chunk, but we’re starting to get over that,” Colton said Friday before
    Vicksburg Park in Renville County. “It’s not really an option
    for us to quit now.”
Photo by Kevin Kotz
Photo by Kevin Kotz